Competition and Championships
- 13.1.1 Number of Events
- The NRC shall be made up of six (6) events selected from Rule 13.1.4 – NRC Events List. These six events shall be part of the official events for NARAM.
- 13.1.2 Event Selection
- NRC events will be selected as follows:
- The Contest Board shall select four (4) non-craftsmanship NRC events.
- The NARAM Contest Director shall select two (2) non-craftsmanship NRC events and the NRC craftsmanship event.
- For non-craftsmanship events, the same NRC event and motor class cannot be flown in consecutive years.
In the event a NARAM Contest Director is not selected by July 1, the Contest Board shall select all seven (7) NRC events.
- 13.1.3 Announcement
- The NRC will be announced on NAR.org, on or before July 1 by the Contest Board Chairman.
- 184.108.40.206 Duration and Altitude Events
- 1/4A-A Parachute Duration
- 1/4A-A Streamer Duration
- 1/4A-A Helicopter Duration
- 1/4A-A Boost Glider Duration
- B-C Egg Lofting Duration
- 1/2A-B Altitude-Altimeter
- A-B Payload Altitude-Altimeter
- B-C Egg Lofting Altitude-Altimeter
- 13.1.5 Adherence
- NRC events shall be flown under the specific event provisions of the Sporting Code.
- 13.1.6 Qualification
- The only events that qualify a competitor to compete for the title of National Champion or for an Event Specialist Award are those selected for the NRC.
- 13.1.7 Event Acceptance
- All NRC events may be flown at a sanctioned NRC launch. Non-NRC events may be flown at an NRC launch but only NRC results will be accepted by the Contest Board.
- All NRC flights shall be conducted at launches sanctioned by the NAR Contest Board and
sponsored by either a NAR chartered section, or NAR member eighteen (18) years of age or older. All NRC launches shall be listed on the NAR Contest Calendar at nar.org once sanctioned.
- There shall be no limit to the number of NRC launches a NAR member eighteen (18) years of age or older or section may sanction in a contest year.
- There shall be no limit to the number of NRC sanctioned launches a competitor may enter in a contest year.
- 13.1.9 NRC Minimum Personnel
- Flying one or more NRC events requires a minimum of two NAR members, one or more of whom is 18 years of age or older.
- The NRC Contest Director shall post competitor scores to a cumulative, member accessible, results ‘Scoreboard’ maintained by the Contest Board on NAR.org.
- The results Scoreboard shall reflect the best score attained by a competitor in an NRC event. Posted results will be considered preliminary until verified by the Regional Contest Board.
- A competitor’s best score also determines his/her position or ‘rank’ in relation to all other competitor results in an NRC event.
- Results must be reported to the appropriate Regional Contest Board Chairman by the Contest Director for verification and must include data for pending performance records.
- Based on the sum of two (2) flights, a competitor that can achieve as his/her official score a NRC maximum for that NRC duration event, will receive a rank of one (1) in that event.
- Scores must be posted to the Scoreboard by the Contest Director within 7 days of the completion of the NRC sanctioned launch.
- At the close of the NRC (June 30), the final results of the NRC determine the eligibility for a competitor to compete for and win an Event Specialist Award and/or National Championship. In case of a tie, duplicate places shall be awarded and all numerical places will be awarded as though there had been no tie. (Ex. 1, 2, 2, 3, 4…)
- 220.127.116.11 National Rocketry Competition Awards
- The top 10 or top 10% of competitors in each division, after the close of the NRC on June 30, will be recognized for their performance on the NAR.org website, in the E-Rocketeer, and in the official journal of the NAR.
- 18.104.22.168 Event Specialist Award (ESA)
- To compete for an ESA at NARAM, competitors in each competition division must:
- Select one or more of the NRC events
- Post qualified flights in each of the competitor’s selected NRC events on the Scoreboard
- Qualify by finishing in the top 10 or top 10% of the NRC event(s) the competitor selects.
There is no limit to the number of ESAs for which a competitor may qualify.
- 22.214.171.124 National Championship
- To compete for a National Championship at NARAM, competitors in each competition division must:
- Post qualified flights in all of the NRC events on the Scoreboard
- Finish in the top 10 or top 10%, whichever is greater, of the NRC events based on a competitor’s combined Scoreboard rank
- A competitor’s “combined Scoreboard rank” is the sum of all of the competitor’s NRC event ranks.
- 13.2.1 NRC Events
- NARAM must present at a minimum the NRC events. The NRC events shall not be flown in a multi-round format.
- 13.2.3 Qualification
- Competitors that meet the requirements of 126.96.36.199 are automatically qualified through the NRC to compete for National Champion awards and shall have their points credited only towards these awards.
- 13.2.4 Points
- All competitors begin NARAM with zero points. Points will be awarded per the following schedule for performance in each event as determined by place:
1st – 25 points
2nd – 20 points
3rd – 17 points
4th – 14 points
5th – 12 points
6th – 10 points
7th – 8 points
8th – 6 points
9th – 4 points
10th – 2 points
Flight Points – 1 point
- 13.2.5 Ties
- In case of a tie, duplicate places shall be awarded and all numerical places will be awarded as though there had been no tie. (Ex. 1, 2, 2, 3, 4…)
- Those who have qualified for an ESA must compete at NARAM to receive an Event Specialist Award in a qualifying NRC event per Rule 188.8.131.52 – Event Specialist Award.
- The NRC qualified individual or team achieving the highest score at NARAM of NRC qualified contenders shall receive the ESA for that particular event.
- There is no limit to the number of Event Specialist Awards an individual or team competitor may qualify for, compete in, or be awarded at NARAM.
- NARAM competitors who did take part in NRC events but failed to qualify for an Event Specialist Award or National Champion award may compete for meet awards.
- For the purpose of determining the meet awards in each division, points will be awarded per Rule 13.2.4 – NARAM.
- Individual event awards will be presented for 1st through 3rd place in each competition division.
- In the event of a tie for Meet or Reserve Champion, the competitor who has the most 1st place finishes wins. If a tie still exists then the competitor who has the most 2nd place finishes wins, etc.
- To be recognized as a National Champion in their competition division, competitors qualify and must compete at NARAM per Rule 184.108.40.206 – National Championship.
- For purposes of determining the National Champion awards in each competition division, points will be awarded per Rule 13.2.4 – NARAM.
- The qualified competitors accumulating the most points at NARAM shall receive the National Champion awards in their competition division.
- National Champions may win ESA awards if they qualified per Rule 220.127.116.11 – Event Specialist Award.
- In the event of a tie for National or Reserve Champion, the competitor who has the most 1st place event finishes wins. If a tie still exists then the competitor who has the most 2nd place event finishes wins, etc.
- All points are awarded per Rule 13.2.4 – NARAM.
- At NARAM, results shall be posted in each of the following categories:
- Event Specialist Awards
- Meet Champions
- National Champions
- 13.5 Section Championship Awards
- Two classes of section championship awards shall be recognized.
- 1. NRC Section Champion awards shall be given for first and second place during the contest year.
- 2. Section National Champion awards shall be given for first and second place at NARAM.
- 13.5.1 NRC Section Championship
- Points will be awarded in two categories, performance points and participation points. The two shall be added together to determine the NRC section score for the contest year.
- 18.104.22.168 NRC Section Performance Points
- Based on a competitor’s NRC Scoreboard rank, performance points shall be awarded per section 13.2.4 and 13.2.5.
- 22.214.171.124 NRC Section Participation Points
- Sections may earn additional points towards a section championship:
1. Based on the total number of NRC launches a NAR Section sponsors during the contest year.
2. Based on the total number of a section’s members qualifying in each of the NRC events.
- 126.96.36.199.1 Section NRC Launch Points
- A section will be awarded 10 points for each NRC launch. There is no limit to the number of NRC launches that a section may sponsor. Launch points will be awarded to a section when a qualified flight, in at least one NRC event, has been displayed on the NRC Scoreboard.
- 188.8.131.52.2 NRC Qualifier Points
- A section will be awarded 5 points for each NRC event in which a section member qualifies. For example, if a section member qualifies in six NRC events, the section is awarded 6 x 5, or 30 points. If a section member qualifies in only one event, the section is awarded 5 points.
- 184.108.40.206 NRC Recognition
- The top ten or 10% of sections accumulating the most points after the close of the NRC on June 30th, will be recognized for their performance on the NAR.org website, in the E-Rocketeer, and in the official journal of the NAR.
- The top ten sections or 10% of sections, whichever is greater, on the NRC scoreboard at the end of the NRC contest year (June 30th) shall qualify to compete for the Section National Championship at NARAM.
- For a contestant to compete for a section at NARAM, the contestant must have competed for that section during the NRC. Contestants who did not compete in the NRC or competed in the NRC as independents are not eligible to compete and earn points for a NAR section at NARAM. See section 8.6.
- All sections shall begin NARAM with a score of zero. A section’s score shall be computed by adding all of the points earned at NARAM by the section members competing at NARAM for the section.
- In case of a tie, duplicate places shall be awarded and all numerical places will be awarded as though there had been no tie. (Ex. 1, 2, 2, 3, 4…).