The NAR and 4-H have a national partnership. The purpose of this partnership is to get more kids to fly rockets and form rocket clubs which will lead to more TARC teams, more people joining NAR and more kids becoming scientists and engineers. The partnership has been very successful with a 4-H team from Georgetown, Texas winning first place and becoming the international champions in 2013. The TARC team’s rocket is on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight as part of the NAR model rocket exhibit.
Together 4-H clubs and NAR sections can hold sport, contest, or TARC launches. They can have training and building sessions, or work on science fair and engineering challenges using rocketry. 4-H has many ‘state fair’ events that need innovative ideas for student projects. In serving young people, 4-H and NAR can both elevate the visibility of one another in their mutual community. Connect to 4H starting with this science page link.
There are 4-H people looking to NAR sections to help them fly rockets! This may be in order to form a TARC team, or just help getting started in the sport. NAR sections should be looking for local 4-H groups with invitations for them to come to their launches and meetings. There are many 4-H adult volunteers that are experienced in running youth activities and can help with the logistics and operations of launches. 4-H groups may also have access to large fields on which to fly.
If you are an NAR member who would like to start or support a local 4-H rocketry club, click find 4-H; to find and contact your local 4-H office.
4-H Rocketry News
- 4-H national has an egg drop experiment that would be good practice for TARC. https://4-h.org/parents/stem-agriculture/youth-stem-activities/parachute-away
- The Kansas 4-H SpaceTech Action Team is responsible for the rocketry program as well as many other STEM based programs https://www.kansas4-h.org/projects/science-engineering-and-technology/spacetech/index.html
- Olympic Peninsula Rocketry 4-H is very active in Washington state https://www.4hrockets.blogspot.com/
- Kenosha Co WI 4-H announces 2017 rocket meeting dates https://kenosha.uwex.edu/youth-development/4-h/model-rocketry/
- 4-H rocketry classes sponsored and supported by the Colorado Springs Rocket Society (COSROCS) https://www.cosrocs.org/htmlpages/classes_info.html
- 4-H Ohio State Rockets Away Guidebooks https://www.ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/4-h-science/science-alive-4-h-school-enrichment/rockets-away
- 4-H Oklahoma State Rocketry Lessons https://oklahoma4h.okstate.edu/scitech/rockets.htm
- 4-H Colorado State Rocketry Project Manuals https://www.colorado4h.org/project_resources/clover_guide/psg-gnr/master.php?grab=modelrocketry and their Master Blasters Rocketry Program https://denverext.colostate.edu/4h/rocketry.html
- 4-H Penn State youth rocketry program guidebooks https://extension.psu.edu/4-h/members/projects-resources/scienceengineering/rocketry
What’s your 4-H rocket group doing? Send the link to your site to 4-H news for us to post it here.
The NAR point of contact for this partnership is Vince Huegele.