What is Fly-It/Take-It?
We’ve all seen, and many of us have participated in Make-it/Take-it events in the past. Participants go to an event, build a simple rocket kit, then go home. Maybe the rocket flies at a future launch, maybe it gets put on a shelf, maybe it even gets tossed out. We want to provide an event that will at least get people flying model rockets, and hopefully keep them flying! The Fly-It/Take-it event is an activity that involves young people and first-time flyers of all ages, by giving them a chance to fly a rocket for free, and then to keep the rocket.
How does it work?
Anybody that has never flown a model rocket before, or any youth under 14 years old (13 or less at the time of the event) will be able to come to the main tent at the NARAM 58 sport range. A selection of model rockets will be displayed there and the participant will be able to choose one that appeals to them. They will be provided with a rocket motor, chute wadding and assistance in prepping the rocket. They will then be able to go to the sport range and fly their rocket. The rocket is then their’s to keep. Additional flights can be made on their own if they wish. The Fly-It/Take-It table will be for sure open during the Sat/Sun sport launch days (July 23-24) as well as throughout the rest of NARAM as long as supplies last.
Where do these rockets come from?
NAR members and sections are asked to help provide rockets for the Fly-It/Take-It program. Sections are encouraged to personalize or customize the rockets that they build. Patriotic themes, or section-specific markings are encouraged. Sections may want to ask local hobby shops or vendors that attend NARAM for donations of kits or parts for this event.
What sort of rockets are we looking for?
Donated rockets can be any kit or scratch-built or ready-to-fly rocket. We only ask that they must fly on a single 18mm black powder rocket motor. A recover device must be included (as needed) and can be any method, but complex designs (such as competition helicopters) are not recommended. We do ask for only new rockets.
How do you donate rockets?
- Rockets can be sent directly to Tom Ha at 512 Chestnut St, Mount Holly Springs, PA 17065. Please make sure that they are delivered no later that 2 weeks before NARAM.
- Rockets can also be sent to theÂ NARAM 58 Hotel marked with “HOLD FOR NARAM – Tom Ha”. Please do not send rockets to the hotel more than 2 weeks before NARAM.
- You can also bring rockets with you to NARAM and deliver them personally. You can simply bring them to the Fly-It/Take-It table at the sport range.
Tom wants to thank the following for helping to make Fly-It Take-It a reality.
- Rocketeers from the NARHAMS Section (Maryland)
- Mary and John of Estes Rockets (Colorado)
- Rocketeers from the MASA section (Minnesota)
- Rocketeers from the Blue Ridge Rocketeers Section (West Virginia)
- The hosts of NARAM 58