National Events Chair
Current Committee Purpose: To ensure that the NAR’s three annual national events (National Meet, National Sport Launch, and National Convention) are organized properly and are run successfully, without financial loss, and in a manner that fully satisfies participants .
NAR By-Laws Language: Article 11, Section 11: The National Association of Rocketry Annual Meet Committee (NARAM Committee) shall have as its duties the organization and administration of the budget of the National Contest and National Convention (NARAM). Members of this Committee shall include the chairman of the Contest and Records Committee, the National Contest Director, and the National Convention Director.
1. I will ensure that the NAR’s three annual national events are held every year. If possible I will ensure that these events are three separate activities, with each being separated from the other two both geographically and by two months or more in time. I will ensure that the NARAM starts no earlier than 26 July and no later than 7 August.
2. I will attempt to secure a credible bid for each national event no later than the NARAM of the calendar year prior to the year in which that event will be held, and will promptly inform the NAR President if I believe that this cannot be done. I will inform the NAR President prior to announcing the awarding of a national event, and will get approval for the NARAM events from the NAR Contest Board Chairman prior to awarding the NARAM bid.
3. I will provide support, encouragement, advice, and supervision to the directors of each of the three annual national events and will do my best to maintain frequent, open, and cordial communications with these directors. I will work with other applicable NAR Committee Chairmen and volunteers to ensure that they provide any support that each national event may require from their area of responsibility. I will check the status of each event directors’ preparations for their respective event no less often than once per month, increasing to once every week in the last month before their event.
4. I will execute a written agreement with each event director, specifying clearly the standards of service, financial arrangements, required reports, and other expectations of the NAR for their event and specifying what support and equipment the NAR will provide for their event.
5. I will maintain accountability for the NAR’s range support equipment, ensuring that it is carefully inventoried and maintained each time its custody is transferred, and that this transfer of custody is documented each time that the equipment is moved between national events.
6. I will maintain an active program of annually soliciting support from the aerospace and hobby industries for cash donations to support the trophies for NARAM. I will provide photographs of the trophy recipients and thank-you letters to each corporation that provides this financial support.
7. I will ensure that each national event develops and that I approve a detailed and realistic budget projecting at least a financial break-even based on the proposed fee structure and reasonable estimates of event attendance. I will closely supervise the financial performance of each event against that budget, and will take prompt action to limit the NAR’s potential financial losses if I see that an event is exceeding expense estimates. I will ensure that every event director provides a full financial accounting, and a check for the NAR’s agreed share of any net profits, within 90 days after the end