Current Committee Purpose: To champion the NAR’s Safety Codes and guidance and actions on matters of safety, based on accurate data and rigorous analysis.
NAR By-Laws Language: Article 11, Section 15: The Safety Committee shall have as its duties collection of safety data, analysis of any significant range safety incidents, periodic review and improvement of recommended range procedures and operations in light of safety data, safety education and communication of improved practices to Association members, and recommendation of changes to NFPA Codes 1122, 1125, 1127 or NAR Safety Codes to the NAR Board of Trustees.
Specific Expectations for Safety Committee Chair or designees
1. I will review all available information on near-misses, incidents, and accidents, and provide timely recommendations on lessons learned, as appropriate. I will ensure that information on significant incidents or accidents involving claims on NAR insurance is reviewed by the Safety Committee as a whole.
2. I ensure that appropriate expertise is available on the Safety Committee or through other contacts in order to provide rigorous analysis as required.
3. I will ensure that NAR sections have continuous access to safety-related information, including safety briefings, data collection instruments, and notifications of lessons learned from analysis of flight statistics and significant incidents.
4. I will provide safety-related articles to NAR publications at least once per year.
5. I will decline to participate on any disciplinary committees appointed by the President to investigate safety code violations by members. However, I will provide to any such committees interpretations of the Safety Code relevant to any evidence that is gathered.
6. I will advise the President and the Board of Trustees concerning issues of Safety, including changes to the NAR Safety Codes and NFPA 1122, 1125, and 1127 raised as a result of our activities or by NAR members, incorporating the comments of Safety Committee members and other interested parties.
7. I will answer any safety-related question from members within forty-eight hours of receipt, or advise the member when an answer will be forthcoming and why it can not be provided immediately.